Monday, June 13, 2011

Weekend Visitors

This weekend, my aunt, uncle, grandmother, and cousins were in town! It was so wonderful to spend time with them all weekend. We started off their visit with a visit to Good Stuff Eatery on Capitol Hill. Good Stuff was opened by Chef Spike, who was a contestant on Top Chef Chicago. Talk about good burgers...so far, all of my visitors have been taken to Good Stuff on their visit, it's just too hard to pass up!
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get off work early enough on Friday to make it to Arlington with the family, but I met them afterwards for a nice dinner in Springfield. On Saturday, Samuel, Aunt Jill, and Uncle John went to visit the White House while Mimi, James, and I hung out in my apartment. I treated them (well, they paid, I just picked the place) to one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall secrets on Capitol Hill for lunch. Bagels and Baguettes. It's a great little bagel place, cash only, with amazing food! It was definitely interesting with six people fitting in my apartment to eat, but we made it work!
After lunch, I took them on a "VIP" tour of the Capitol. We didn't see anyone famous inside the Capitol, but I did get to take them to my office and show them where Mitch McConnell lives.

Sunday was a big day! I swear my little cousin, Samuel, will have his own show on the Animal Planet when he grows up. I've never seen a little kid love animals like Samuel. It is so impressive how much he knows about animals (definitely more than me!) So - a trip to the National Zoo on Sunday was the highlight of his trip!
I definitely think it lived up to his expectations! We all had a great time, and I even bought myself this adorable re-usable grocery bag since, as you know from my last post, in D.C. you have to pay for using plastic bags at the grocery store.
After the zoo, we had dinner at the local pub, where they gained first hand experience about the lack of sweet tea, and sometimes even tea in general, in D.C. They headed home this morning after a good (but hottttt) trip.

As I've said before, it is always hard to see visitors go. (Yes, I cried) But, I am so glad that they got to visit D.C. and that I was able to share where I live and work with some of the people who mean the most to me!

And - as always, visitors are always welcome here!

That's all for now - it's a big TV night.... The Bachelorette and the GOP Debate.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. So funny, I just mentioned on my blog that I wanted to try Spike's restaurant when in DC this summer! How far is it from the mall area? Is it an easy walk or easier to take the metro? Sorry to ask so many questions, ha! By the way, I completely love your blog design!

    ReplyDelete