Tuesday, July 5, 2011

God Bless America

July 4th has always been one of my favorite holidays. I have childhood memories of cooking out, pool days, and shooting fireworks off of Mamaw and Papaw's porch on South Boulevard.
Yes, that is me with a swim camp. Dang tubes in my ears.
 This year, I was able to celebrate America in our nation's capital. What an experience!  
A few highlight from the weekend: Nationals vs. Cubs and fireworks on the National Mall...
If this doesn't say America, I don't know what does. Baseball, hotdog, beer, and sadly (and not trying to be mean), extreme obesity.
My friend and co-worker, Erica, joined me for fireworks on the National Mall. The pictures below are from our seats. Over 500,000 joined us in celebrating America's 235th birthday. I'll admit, I was slightly disappointed we couldn't hear music from our seats. However, we were able to liven things up a little bit... I pulled up Pandora on my iPhone and turned on Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" and then Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue." We got a few cheers for that! Next year, we may try to plan better to either be in the Capitol on a balcony when the fireworks go off, or on a roof top somewhere. But, this year we thought it would be appropriate for us to experience all the celebration on the National Mall had to offer.
It was an amazing experience to be in Washington D.C. for the 4th of July! Regardless of where you spent the holiday, I hope you were able to take time out to think about why our country is so very special. Every day I talk to people who are angry at their fellow Americas... republicans, democrats, elderly, teenagers, wealthy, poor... yes, we don't agree on everything, and we never will. But, it's important to sit back and remember we all have one thing in common...we are all Americans and we are all blessed to live in this country - the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Happy 235th America and I hope all of you had a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment